Friday, August 15, 2008

what the....

curiosity has got the better of me.

I happened to have the camera in the car when I thought of this.

Just south of Wanilla is a tree on the roadside festooned with shoes.


What does this mean????

Is it some sort of secret meeting place for old and retired footwear?

Could it be the resting place for leather and synthetic foot ornaments?

Is there no meaning at all or something deep and profound?

And, most of all, who started it? Its been growing for a number of years.





5 comments:

sandra said...

lol
Tiff I have often wondered the same thing!
The kids love this tree! They always look out for it as we near Wanilla.

Anonymous said...

jaxens the same, always asks where the tree is. must say when the kids are with me and we look for it that I say we should get some really bright colorfol shoes and add them, but then forget....until the next time we pass it.We might just do it one day, but I think I might look a bit of a dick on the side of the road trying to throw shoes on a tree...a job for a teenage boy I reckon

SueP said...

Great tree ey?? I call it 'Boot Corner' and have loved to see the amount of shoes growing over the past coupla years.

It all started a few days following the bushfire in 2005, when i first noticed a old pair of boots (??scorched from the fire) flung over that limb.... and i too have a photo of this tree and it's shoes!!

Anonymous said...

good photo you didn't take long to put it on. Was there any stilleto's up there? see if you get this

Anonymous said...

Tiff Sorry to put a negative slur on "the shoe tree" I have been told by my teenagers that a tree or power line with hanging shoes is a known sign to advertise drugs near by. I couldn't believe it myself so asked a local copper who confirmed it!
I would still like to think it's not the case but unfortunately it is more than likely!